Wednesday, March 02, 2011

My Headboard!

Looky, looky!
I made a headboard for my new King sized bed!!
I have been wanted a headboard foreverrrr! There isn't much choices around here in the very few furniture stores that we have.

So I stumbled across this tutorial for a headboard
at Don't Disturb This Groove.
Check it out!

(Sorry I haven't posted for a while...I know, I know...I say this all the time,
but I have been so busy with work) 

So here are a couple photos of my headboard. I'll explain what I did below.
(Excuse my non-matching pillows. Most of my bedroom is hand-me-downs and miss-matched) 


 


I pretty much did the same thing as the tutorial, except a few minor differences.

I went to Lowes the other day with the my bed measurements and looked and looked and looked....and well, looked some more. 

Finally I settled on a piece of wood that was 6 feet long, and about 2 feet-ish wide for about $14-15.
(I don't remember exactly off the top of my head).
I used a piece of wood because I didnt have any cardboard big enough.
I kind of wish I used cardboard or thinner wood, because this piece made it heavy...but its still standing, so it must be okay!

 I also walked up and down the molding aisle....over and over.
I was kind of looking for something close to 2 inches wide...so I could add an extra 2 inches on all sides.
I finally found a 5 pack of 7 foot molding that was 2 inches wide and primed white...for like...$12!! Shyeaaah!

I bought some liquid nails and the caulking gun thingy.
Then while I was at Walmart, I noticed in the paint section, they had little bottle samples of Glidden paint! For like...$2 something! Saaaaweeeeet!
So I bought a bottle in Bittersweet Chocolate. I wanted something in brown...so it can just match with whatever. Then I looked around for fabric with my mom, and couldn't find anything I really wanted.

So I decided to stick with a fabric I had a lot of at home already...
I didnt really want a pattern...or funky colors...I wanted something kind of neutral that will match with a lot of things. So the fabric I used is sort of like canvas and its a taupe-olive color. It goes well with everything!

Then I followed the tutorial. Since my headboard wasn't as high as Don't Disturb This Grooves was, I added molding all the way around. My husband helped me some. I couldnt do anything too fancy, since, again.....I am in an apartment with no access to a garage or workbench or even a little outside area (plus its winter). So we cut the molding by hand in my kitchen/living room-room....since its one big huge room.

I put a little batting on my big piece of wood and then covered it in fabric and stapled it on the back. Pretty simple.

(I still think its needs a little something something...maybe some furniture tacks or something to add more decoration to it, hmmm.....)

The gluing process was tricky. Very very tricky. Clamps work good to hold the corners of the molding together while it dries. And be prepared to sit on the floor and hold the rest of the molding in place for a bit. Then find all kinds of heavy things in the house to put on top of it and hold things in place.

I let it sit overnight. I wasn't able to work on it the next day, since I had to work, but I worked on it the day after. I needed more stability on the back....so I glued some foam board all over the back. 

Then I painted all the molding with my paint sample. I did 3 quick coats and still had a tiny bit left in the bottle! WOW!
Then when it was all dry, I brought it into my bedroom and propped it against the wall behind my bed, and pushed my bed into it. Thats it.
Thats IT! thats it...crazy huh?
It wasn't that hard at all.

Would of been a little easier if I had a miter box and put foam board on the back from the beginning and used clamps from the beginning to hold things, instead of listening to my husband say nooo...we need to sit here and hold this in place. haha.
But ya....not too shabby.
It ended up costing just under $30 with everything I picked up!

So that was my latest project.
What until you see what I have in store to post next week.
Just you wait!


 
Photobucket

Parties that I am linking to:





3 comments:

Deidra said...

Very nice! Furniture tacks sound like a nice bonus.
Also, is your blanket from JCP? Because it looks EXACTLY like my set except mine is blue & brown. :P

Brandi said...

Great Job on your headboard Fallan! I'm glad you were able to follow the tutorial to create your own!

Fallan said...

Thanks Brandi! I was def. determined to make one!

Deidra, thanks! Yes, my blanket is from JCP...I got it on clearence and have already ruined the edging of it in the washer. That is def. a blanket that I need to take to the laundry mat. Its a light blue with a light brown/taupe in the designs. Might be the same! If I could get the ambition, I would love to make myself a duvet cover. But I like changing things out too often...sigh.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails